- Physician owned hospitals clearly benefit their communities. Considering
both uncompensated care and tax payments, physician owned hospitals
returned a net community benefit almost 8 times higher than non-profit
hospitals, averaging 7.23% for surgery hospitals as compared to .87% for non-profit
hospitals. HHS Study, pg. 58.
- The physician owned hospital industry has a great economic impact at
the federal, state and local levels. Federally, the following statistics were
reported: $932,706,468 in Total Payroll; $125,578,212 annually paid in Federal
Taxes; $1,560,156,309 in Trade Payables; and 22,443 Full Time Employees. In
addition, physician owned hospitals pay significant real estate taxes to their states
and local communities.
- Physician owned hospitals play by the rules. Not only do physician owned
hospitals treat Medicare and Medicaid patients, but in fact, approximately one quarter
of the revenue received on an annual basis by the physician owned
hospitals across the country originates from Medicare/Medicaid cases.
- Physician owned hospitals treat charity care cases. Considering true
charity work as well as bad debt write-offs, physician owned hospitals provide
more community benefit than most non-profit general hospitals.
- Physician owned hospitals provide an opportunity to strengthen the
local medical community. The opportunity to be involved with a physician
owned hospital, as either an investor or credentialed user, provides a means of
recruiting and retaining top quality surgeons to communities that may otherwise
find it difficult to attract and retain physicians in high-demand specialties. This
means superior access to better physicians for patients in communities served by
physician owned hospitals.
- Physician owned hospitals allow communities to become centers for
healthcare excellence. The excellent, quality services provided by physician
owned hospitals often attract patients from an expanded service area
broadening the community healthcare market.
Information provided by the Physician Hospitals of America.